Cormorant by the Lakes is a campsite located on the Banksia Peninsula, in the heart of the Gippsland lakes, 300 km East of Melbourne (typically 3.5 hours drive). The campsite is owned by the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne and managed by St Hilary’s.
The site is maintained primarily to offer tent/campervan based camping, with both powered and unpowered sites as well as a single cabin for younger families. Families tend to use the site for friendly camping, as separate cooking, cleaning and toilet facilities are provided.
With regular bookings from December through to February, the site is available for small groups or camps up to 50 people, with larger camps currently bringing additional facilities to site (e.g. freezer storage).
The facilities at Cormorant by the Lakes are as follows:
- Powered & unpowered sites, surrounded by local fauna.
- A cabin containing 2 rooms and 6 beds (2 single, 2 bunks) and deck
- Ample paths for off-road bike riding
- A beach, adjoining the camp site, also used for boat launching
- A lounge with couches, chairs, carpet and a potbelly stove
- Tables & chairs for communal eating inside the lounge & outside
- A dual sized kitchen for joint or separate cooking, including: Instant electric hot water and water filters for the kitchen, a dish washer, 2 stoves, 2 ovens, 2 microwaves and 2 sinks, an array of cooking appliances and eating utensils. an outdoor scullery with 2 sinks, hot and cold water
- Up to 2 BBQs
- A toilet block, providing: 6 showers, 6 basins and 4 toilets
- Separate men’s and women’s facilities
- Indoor towel hanging space
- A laundry with up to 2 washing machines and a clothes hanging area
- A boat jetty for short term mooring in nearby duck arm (a short walk).
- An eco-friendly environment, with a wood fired hot water service and two main water tanks (20,000L total capacity).
In addition to the above, the Cormorant by the Lakes committee runs a number of camps throughout the year at Easter, Cup weekend and Christmas, utilizing other facilities including:
- A steel lockup garage housing:
- Up to 3 children’s beginner boats & 5 single hull sail boats
- 2 catamarans & more than 2 wind surfers,
- Kayaks, water skis & beach toys
- An array of wetsuits and life jackets for children/youth
- An additional refrigerator for further food storage.
- A private speed boat to provide beach safety and water sports